Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Great Practice Tonight & Coaches Thoughts - "Touch The Ball Everyday"

Hi everyone, we had a great practice tonight, we did some agility, alot of technical work, and progressed to a small-sided possession-type game... we got in a ton of touches with the ball and the boys responded well.  We ended with a team strategy session and the boys seemed to really understand what I was asking of them.  They are a great group and I enjoy coaching them very much.

I wanted to take this opportunity to share with you that I had the chance to visit this weekend with two Hungarian friends of mine who played professional football in Hungary in the 60's.  They played in Hungary's first division, the NB1, at a time when it truly was one of the best in Europe.  I asked them about the training they had as youth soccer players, esp focussing on what they did in our team's age group. 

We went through some drills and how to practice different techniques, and the same major theme was repeated throughout our conversation.  It always boiled down to how much personal practice time players put in, or as they put it: "Me and the ball"...

As youth soccer players they practiced everyday all year round. Besides the team practices, they would play and practice soccer 6 hours a day, on their own or with a group of friends - "until the sun went down".  The weather was irrelevant, rain or shine, blistering hot or freezing cold...they played soccer in the snow all winter!  

What is interesting is that most of their personal training (or as they called it "Me and the ball" time) was very simple.  One of the basics they would always do, from 8 years of age through to their professional years, was simply kicking a ball against a wall... concentrating on being on their toes, balanced with knees bent, striking the ball with different parts of the foot and alternating feet when receiving the bounce-back. They would do this until they got a rhythm going, similar to a boxer with a speed bag.

The juggling work was always very important for them... they would get together with friends and have competitions that would last for hours... juggling with both feet, inside foot, outside foot, laces, thighs, shoulder, and head.

They emphasized that the most basic things are the most important things... ball control and touch, which they would work on for hours during their personal time with the ball. They told me that tactics, systems and strategy were not a priority until the players hit the U15-U16 level. 

Interestly, this is the same message that we got when meeting the AS Roma Academy Coaches, and through Tuukka's brother from the FC Inter Turku Academy, and from the Dinamo Zagreb Academy Coaches from Clayton's camp.

Now, of course what my Hungarian friends were describing regarding their hours and conditions of practice was in a different world, back in 1960's Communist Hungary.  Our world is very different, our boys have lots of activities that pull them in different directions.  But what resonated with me is this: "Me and the ball" or as I have been calling it, "Touch the Ball Everyday"... 

This has been one of the themes for the boys since I took the team over two years ago.  Whether it's juggling, or kicking a ball against a wall, throwing a ball up the in air and trapping it, or setting up a dribbling course and dribbling around cones like we do at practice - "Touch the Ball Everyday". 

I encourage our players at every practice to take some of the drills we do together and do them at home on their own.  I ask them to put in at least 20 to 30 minutes everyday, working with the ball - on their own... I have joked with the boys that I want them to sleep with a soccer ball so that soccer was the last thing they think about before falling asleep and the first thing they think of when they wake up!  (I actually slept with a football in my arms all through highschool, my mother thought I was nuts!).  It's funny but I am always making the point that if it's important to them, they will do it- the extra work part!

Of course the "Touch the Ball Everyday" theme applies to many aspects of our boys lives.  Let me relate it another way... We have a few budding musicians on our team!   From the age of 6, I played and then taught music, performed at parties, the Hungarian Hall, church, restaurants and weddings.  With music, going once or twice a week for lessons was not enough, I had to practice on my own everyday - and for hours, to get to the point where I was moderately accomplished.  Whether it is sports, school, or the arts, the key to success is the same -  commitment and practice.

These are great life skills for our boys to develop. School work needs the same type of commitment, solving that difficult math problem takes time and practice.  Becoming a better soccer player is no different.  Going to practice twice a week and then playing a game is not enough. This is why I give them "Soccer Homework" in the form of instructional videos to watch and then practice - on their own...

Players must "Touch the Ball Everyday" and work at it on their own to raise their level.  I'm glad that many of my players do.  We will need that type of individual commitment to raise our collective level for next year.

Sometimes as coaches and parents we have a tendency to over-complicate things.  The game is actually very simple.   There really is no secret to development.  Hard work pays off. I wanted to share this note with you because I find it so interesting that the message I get from whom ever I meet up with in the soccer world is the same... "Touch the Ball Everyday"...

See you at practice tomorrow night at 5:30.
Coach Jim