Friday, September 7, 2012

Great Team, Great Season

It’s usually easy to write up a summary of a game but this one has me a little lost for words (hard to believe I know!).   We were treated to a wonderful game from our boys on Wednesday night.  It was a superb effort that I am finding hard to describe.  Back and forth, attacking one minute and then defending the next. Winning balls, going in hard on tackles, moving the ball, working together, falling down and getting back up… it was an intense and wonderfully played game… I thanked the boys from the bottom of my heart.

They deserved a better result. It was a horrible way to lose - and not a good way to win from Fort Erie’s  perspective either.  Having a questionable PK called against you in the last minute of a scoreless double overtime is a real kick in the stomach.  But in the end someone has to win and someone has to lose. 

The game, and the season, were such a tremendous life lesson for the boys: always do your best, celebrate and take pride in your successes... and work through your defeats, always pick yourself up, no matter how much it hurts.   When I saw a few of my players sobbing on the field and at the bench, my heart broke for them.  All I could say is “it’s OK, you have so much to be proud of, thank-you for playing so hard, I love being your coach”… and then I sobbed too!   May I say it was a great lesson for parents as well, watching our 11-12 year old boys play their hearts out… sometimes some people forget we are talking about 11-12 year old boys playing a sport for fun. 

In the end, “Double Overtime Thriller” doesn’t come close to describing what happened on Field 7 on Wednesday night.  I will miss this team. I really wanted to have a few more practices and a couple more games, and from the looks on the boys faces Wednesday night, they wanted more too.

After the game I reminded the boys that that loss did not take away from our accomplishments... that we had the biggest prize of all, we were League Champions… they have so very much to be proud of. 

Our boys led the league from the first week to the last. IMO this is the most difficult thing for a team to achieve, to be on top of the table all season long.  The first half of the season we had a perfect record. Come the second half of the season, we were playing teams who wanted revenge, teams who were gunning for us because we were in first place, we were the team to beat – and we still finished on top.  This is incredibly difficult and a great accomplishment.

What some people do not understand is that the gaps between teams from the beginning to the end of the season gets smaller as teams get better.  This is common in all sports at all levels.  The added pressure for my team to face these “extra motivated” and improving teams was a different dynamic than they had faced before, and they finished on top! BRAVO!!

We had the best goal differential in the league (+43), we were second in scoring (59) and second in goals against (16), we kept 6 clean sheets out of 14 games, and we are ready for promotion to the SRSL.  Again, so much to be proud of.

I had a blast with my team this year.  Our boys are a great group of young men and it was my privilege to be their coach.  The last two years have been a great journey going from “worst to first”!

As parents, Angie and I are thrilled that our son has made so many great friends through this team, and friendships that will last right through high-school and beyond.

As for what’s next, we will plan a team party, get a final team picture in, I will close off the books and refund cash to parents, and we will have our club banquet at Dave & Busters on September 25.

I will be speaking to the club shortly about my intentions and ideas for next season. The club will appoint coaches after September 20th.

Thanks boys for everything… we will keep in touch...

Red Dawgs, Red Dawgs, Red Dawgs,
Crave the Burn, Crave the Burn, Crave the Burn,
Hajrá, Hajrá,  Hajrá!!!

-Coach Jim